Immunization: It’s the Law.

Syringe for immunizationOn October 18th, 2019, the Methow Valley School District sent letters to families of students who still require additional childhood vaccinations. 

Washington State Law (RCW 28A.210.080) requires all children to have immunization records for certain vaccine-preventable diseases in order to attend school. The following vaccines are required by every public school, K-12, in Washington State: Measles/Mumps/Rubella, Polio, Hepatitis B, Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis, Varicella (Chickenpox).

If you received a letter, or have been advised that additional immunization information is needed, there are several options. Please take ONE of the following actions by November 7th, 2019:

Is this your situation? Then do this:
Your child HAS received all the required vaccinations marked in the letter sent home on October 18th. Bring the information to your school so we can update our records.
Your child HAS NOT received the immunizations marked in the letter sent home on October 18th. Make an appointment for “immunizations only” at your health care provider’s office. Make sure to bring the letter and your child’s Certificate of Immunization.
You have medical, religious, or personal reasons for not vaccinating your child. Bring a completed Certificate of Exemption form to your school. A personal exemption may not be used for the measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) requirement.

If we don’t receive your information within this timeframe, by law we must send you a Notice of Exclusion for Immunization Noncompliance. This Notice will explain that your child cannot attend school until you provide the required immunization information to your school nurse. RCW 28A.210.120

What do vaccines cost?
In Washington, all children under age 19 may get vaccines at no cost from their health care provider. Providers may charge an office visit fee and a fee to give the vaccine, called an administration fee. If you cannot pay the administration fee, ask your provider to waive the cost.

Where do I get more information? Where do I get forms?
For more information about immunization requirements, including links to the forms mentioned above, visit the Washington State Department of Health’s School and Child Care Immunization site.

You can reach us at the Elementary School at (509) 996-2186 or the High School at (509) 995-2215 for help, information or questions and concerns.