Dear Methow Valley Students, Parents, Staff, and Community Members,
Thanksgiving Break is upon us. Next week, we will close our schools on November 26th and 27th in observance of Thanksgiving. As previously stated, I can’t thank you enough for doing your part to help us successfully reopen our schools… better yet, remain open. As we’ve stated at all points along the way, “Schools Don’t Reopen Schools, Communities Reopen Schools.”
Communities Keep Schools Open: Safely Navigating the Cold/Flu and Holiday Season
As we prepare for the challenges that come with a time traditionally associated with indoor gatherings, travel, and illness, members of our team have been consulting with local public health officials and researching best practices in preparation for what awaits us.
Using the information gathered, coupled with the advice provided by our local public health officials we are asking for your support by committing to the following actions:
- Continue to implement the mitigating strategies (wearing a mask, social distancing, and hand washing) when engaged in casual gatherings with friends and relatives and/or when travelling.
- Replace old traditions with new family-oriented traditions that limit gatherings, travel, and exposure during this challenging period of time.
- Attend school remotely during the first week following our return from breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Mid-Winter Break, Spring Break) “if” your student and/or immediate family members have been engaged in gatherings and/or travel resulting in possible exposure to COVID 19.
Listen to a podcast Q&A featuring MVSD School Nurse, Adriana Vanbianchi and Family Medical Center Chief Medical Officer, Dr. James Wallace.
Additionally, in support our efforts to keep our schools and community COVID free, we will be offering the following services the week following Thanksgiving Break:
- Community-wide Testing: The MVSD will be partnering with Lifeline, Aero Methow, and Family Health Centers to offer free, voluntary community-wide COVID testing. (Please see flyers in English and Spanish below.)
- Staff Testing: The MVSD staff will continue to participate in regular, bi-weekly COVID testing.
- Student Testing: The MVSD will be offering free, voluntary COVID testing of all students in grades K-12. Parents who do not wish for their child to participate may elect to opt-out by completing the “Covid 19 Testing Opt Out Form” found on the Covid Updates page (in the “Covid Testing” tab) and returning it to their student’s school office or by calling the school secretary.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our schools and community safe, healthy, and open. I can’t imagine a better incentive than our youth and their education!
Superintendent, Methow Valley School District