Dear Methow Valley Students, Parents, Staff, and Community Members,
The MVSD School Calendar Committee has developed a “draft” school calendar for the 2021-22 school year. It is ready for your review. Once you had an opportunity to look at the proposed calendar, the committee would like to solicit your feedback before making a final recommendation to the MVSD Board of Directors on Thursday, March 25th.
Serving as a structure designed to support the district’s vision for teaching and learning, the MVSD 2021-22 School Calendar, in its current “draft” form, was created by a committee comprised of key stakeholders that includes staff, parents, educational partners, and community members.
Using the feedback received from last year’s Dream Big Event, coupled with some of the bright spots in learning that have emerged during the pandemic, and in an effort to take a small step toward a balanced calendar, the committee developed a school calendar that attempts to achieve the following:
- Improve the quality of instruction by providing staff with ongoing opportunities to regularly assess and evaluate student learning and make real-time adjustments to instruction within each week.
- Unhinge learning from seat-time by promoting real-world learning opportunities through engagement in student-initiated projects, participation in community-based internships, and student exhibitions of learning.
- Increase opportunities for all students to engage in enriching clubs and extracurricular activities at no cost to families.
- Increase opportunities for students to receive personalized academic tutoring and other essential support services, inclusive of counseling and mental health care services.
- Create consistent professional development and collaborative planning opportunities for all staff at no additional cost to the district.
- Exceed the minimum basic educational requirements for instruction hours provided annually.
With these goals in mind, the committee has noted a few key changes. They include the following:
- Pre-Labor Day start date
- Reduction of Professional Days from 6 to 3
- Inclusion of a weekly Wednesday Early Release schedule
- Expanded Thanksgiving Break and Mid-Winter Break
It should be noted that with the inclusion of a weekly Early Release schedule every Wednesday, the MVSD 2021-22 Calendar Committee recognizes the potential negative impact upon some families. If adopted, the committee recommends the MVSD provide parents of elementary-age students with access to high quality childcare and student enrichment programs on Early Release days at no cost to the family as well as the continuation of Liberty Bell clubs on Wednesday afternoons.
We want to hear from you!
Please take our Calendar Survey and respond to the following questions:
- What do you like about the proposed calendar?
- What if any support do you anticipate your family would need?
Thank you for participating in the process!
Superintendent, Methow Valley School District