Dear Methow Valley Families,
After three years, Missoula Children’s Theatre performances will once again be visiting the Methow Valley! The Missoula Children’s Theatre (MCT), the nation’s largest touring children’s theatre, has been touring extensively for forty years. MCT’s mission is the development of lifeskills in children through participation in the performing arts.
This year’s show is The Little Mermaid starring the Little Mermaid, Celia, her three sisters, Delia, Amelia and Ophelia, Gil, the Merboy next door and the country singin’ Starfish. The Royal family includes the Prince, the King and the Queen. And don’t forget the snoopy Seasiders. To complete the ensemble, the poetic Town Criers, the dynamic Sea Scouts and the galloping Seahorses will make this play a hit! Additionally, several students may serve as Assistant Directors throughout the week.
- Auditions for the show will be held at the Methow Valley Elementary School Cub Gym on Monday, November 7 from 3:40 – 5:40 p.m. and are open to all students in Grades 1-12. Only kids who will be here for all rehearsals and who can commit to the two performances on Saturday at 3:00 and 5:30 p.m. may audition. No preparation is needed.
- Not all students will be cast in parts. Over the past forty years of touring, MCT has found that there is a maximum number of children that two directors can teach well in one week. If more kids are added, at any age level, the directors become spread too thin and therefore are unable to give the appropriate amount of individual attention to the children to make each child’s personal experience safe, positive, and successful.
- The cast will include more than 50 local students who audition, rehearse, and perform with two Missoula Children’s Theatre actor/directors in an intensive week of theatre arts. There is a $25 residency fee for those cast in the production. Scholarships are available, thanks to Winthrop Kiwanis.
Audition, Rehearsal and Performance Dates & Times
NOTE: Not all students will be called for all rehearsals; the bigger the part (and typically the older the child), the more rehearsals. The youngest students will only rehearse from 1:40 – 3:40 p.m. (Wednesday and Thursday) and 1 – 3 p.m. on Friday, and all day on Saturday.
- Monday, November 7th • Auditions 3:40 – 5:40 p.m.
Note that not all students may get a role. There are limited cast members for Missoula Children’s Theatre. Please plan on being at the school at 5:40 p.m., ready to pick up your child if necessary.
- Monday, November 7th • Rehearsal 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
After auditions, students cast in larger roles will stay for rehearsal until 8 p.m. There will be a 15-20 minute break for meals for those staying for rehearsal. Younger students and those not cast in roles will be sent home at this time. Please plan on being at the school at 5:40 p.m., ready to pick up your child if necessary.
- Tuesday, November 8th • Rehearsal 3:40 – 8:00 p.m.
Only students cast in larger roles will rehearse on Tuesday.
- Wednesday, November 9th • Rehearsal 1:40 – 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 10th • Rehearsal 1:40 – 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 11th • Rehearsal 12:40 – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 12th • Performances at 3:00 p.m. & 5:30 p.m.
Students will arrive by 1:30 p.m. for make up, costume and some rehearsal and will stay throughout the afternoon until the second show is finished. Plan to pack snacks and a hearty lunch. Each performance is approximately 1 hour.
MCT is brought to our community Methow Arts Alliance. It is supported by Icicle Fund, Winthrop Kiwanis, the Chewuch Inn, the Methow Valley Fund, the Public School Funding Alliance, the WA State Arts Commission, KTRT, Blue Star Coffee Roasters and the Methow Valley School District.
For more information, call us at Methow Arts (509) 997-4004) or email us at email@example.com