The next HCL Committee Meeting will be Monday, November 14, 4:30-5:30 p.m. in the MVES Professional Development Room.
Highly Capable Learning Advisory Committee Charter
The purpose of the group is to:
- Learn about state requirements for identifying Highly Capable Learners and appropriate programming that meets the needs of these students;
- Make recommendations to district leaders about policies regarding Highly Capable Learners;
- Identify common needs and goals among the parents and teachers of students identified as Highly Capable;
- Provide monthly district updates to parents regarding current Highly Capable Learner topics;
- Bring to the district’s attention existing and emerging issues expressed by parents at MVES and Liberty Bell Schools; and
- Serve as an advisory body that provides thought partnership and contributes to effective problem solving regarding Highly Capable Learners.
Basis for Establishment:
- Increase opportunities for families across our district to provide insight and collaborate around topics relevant to students identified as Highly Capable.
- To continue to provide feedback on the implementation of the Highly Capable Learners Program.
Responsibilities of Committee Members:
- Attend meetings.
- Actively participate representing larger school voice.
Time & Location: Next Meeting is Monday, November 14, 4:30-5:30 p.m. in the MVES Professional Development Room. We will determine future meetings at that time.
Decision Making Process:
This group serves in an advisory capacity supporting district efforts for Highly Capable Learners.
Plan of Work:
- Learn about state requirements for identifying Highly Capable Learners and provisions for appropriate programming that meets the needs of these students.
- Make recommendations to district leaders about policies regarding Highly Capable Learners.
- Identify common needs and goals among the parents and teachers of students identified as Highly Capable.
- Develop and provide feedback for supporting professional development and implementation of Highly Capable Learner programming.
- Chair: Director of Teaching and Learning
- 2 students (1 elementary, 1 secondary)
- 4 teachers (2 elementary, 2 secondary)
- 3 parent/community representatives per school (K-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12)
- Principals from MVE and LBHS/ILC
- District Psychologist
- School Board Member (ex officio)
- District Superintendent (ex officio)
- Teachers’ time will be compensated.
- Potential costs associated with special guest speakers.
Please contact Anne Andersen at (509) 996-2186 (ext 270) on Mondays/Thursdays or (509) 996-2215 (ext 170) on Tuesdays/Wednesdays.