Upcoming Meeting Agenda & Minutes
Next meeting: TBD
IEP/504 Outreach Charter Committee
The purpose of the group is to:
- Increase education and supports for families and educators of students with special needs in the Methow Valley;
- Make recommendations to district leaders about policies regarding special education;
- Identify common needs and goals among the parents and teachers of neurologically and physically diverse students; and
- Serve as an advisory body that provides thoughtful partnership and contributes to effective problem solving regarding Special Education in the Methow Valley.
Basis for Establishment:
- This Committee continues the work started by the district in the 2015-16 school year..
- We recognize that by supporting, engaging and empowering parents of children who are neurologically and physically diverse, we build stronger educational systems for our students. The Methow Valley School District, with the partnering agency ESD 112, has a commitment to improving communication and resources for our parents and educators on behalf of all students with disabilities.
Responsibilities of Committee Members:
- Attend meetings.
- Actively participate in meetings and in thinking about how to improve disability services for parents/students/families of students in the Methow Valley.
- Approach issues with a collaborative, community-based, partnership approach. Look for opportunities to build common ground, share resources and work together for the best outcome for all MV children.
Time & Location: First Wednesday of each month, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. in the MVE library
Decision Making Process:
This group serves in an advisory capacity supporting district efforts for Special Education/504.
Plan of Work:
- Provide parent and teacher education around topics specific to neurologically and physically diverse students.
- Make recommendations to district leaders about policies around special education and 504 plans.
- Identify common needs and goals among the parents and teachers of students identified as 504 or IEP eligible.
- Develop and provide feedback for supporting professional development and implementation of Special Education services.
- Leanne Lafferty, Special Education Director
- Susan Otonicar, Parent Coordinator
- Tom Venable, MVS Superintendent
- Judith Hardmeyer-Wright, Board Member, Ex-Officio
- Other members to be determined on November 2nd
No budget implications.
Please contact Leanne Lafferty at (509) 996-2186, ext 224 on Wednesdays/Thursdays or Sue Otonicar at (509) 341-4777.