The board will help newly-elected or appointed directors to understand the policies and procedures of the board. To facilitate this process, new directors will be provided with:
- WSSDA publications (e.g. Open Public Meetings, Conflict of Interest, Washington School Board Standards, Serving on Your Local School Board, The Basics of School Law, and Parliamentary Procedure);
- Goals for the school district and plans, if developed;
- Board policies and administrative procedures;
- Student rights, responsibilities and conduct;
- District staff handbook;
- Student and staff handbooks from individual schools;
- Collective bargaining agreements;
- District and school budget;
- Financial status reports (most recent copies);
- Board minutes (past year);
- Achievement test results and relevant data for evaluating student learning; and
- Staff member job descriptions.
The board chair, or a designee, and the superintendent will assist each new director in the review of these materials and will review the role and function of the various administrators employed by the district. The orientation will include, as per district policy, how to: (1) arrange for visits of school or administrative offices; (2) request information regarding school operations; (3) respond to a complaint concerning staff or program; and (4) handle confidential information.
Directors will be encouraged to attend meetings, workshops and conferences to increase their knowledge and competencies.
Adoption Date: 3.10
Revised Dates: 2.08