At the first regular meeting at which newly-elected board members are seated in election years and at the first regular meeting in December in non-election years, the board will elect from among its members a chair/president and a vice chair/president to serve one-year terms. A newly appointed board member will not be eligible to serve as an officer unless a majority of the board has been appointed.
If a board member is unable to continue to serve as an officer, a replacement will be elected immediately. In the absence of both the chair/president and the vice chair/president, the board will elect a president pro tempore who will perform the functions of the chair/president during the latter’s absence.
The superintendent will act as board secretary and perform all the duties as outlined by law. In order to provide a record of the proceedings of each meeting of the board, the superintendent will appoint a recording secretary of the board.
, In even numbered years at the same meeting, a WSSDA legislative representative will be elected to serve a two-year term.
The normal order of business will be modified for the annual organizational meeting by considering the following matters, after the approval of the minutes of the previous meeting:
- Welcome and introduction of newly elected board members by the chair/president;
- Call for nominations for chair/president to serve during the ensuing year;
- Election of a chair/president (roll call vote);
- Assumption of office by the new chair/president;
- Call for nominations for vice chair/president to serve during the ensuing year;
- Election of a vice chair/president (roll call vote);
- (If applicable) Call for nominations for WSSDA legislative representative to serve for the next two years; and
- Election of a WSSDA legislative representative.
Policies will continue from year to year and board to board until and unless the board changes them.
|Cross References:||1225 – School Director Legislative Program|
|Legal References:||RCW 28A.330.010 Board president, vice-president or president pro tempore — Secretary|
|RCW 28A.330.020 Certain board elections, manner and vote required — Selection of personnel, manner|
|RCW 28A.330.050 Duties of superintendent as secretary of the board|
|RCW 28A.400.030 Superintendent’s duties|
|RCW 29A.60.280 Local elected officials, commencement of term of office — Purpose|
2017 – April Issue
Adoption Date: 7.17