2412 Diplomas for Veterans

The district will issue high school diplomas to an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States who was scheduled to graduate from high school, but who left high school before graduation to serve in World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam era.

To be eligible for a diploma the veteran or his or her representative must fill out the application provided by the Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs and provide evidence of eligibility.

Veterans are eligible for the diploma even if they subsequently earned a high school equivalency certificate or are deceased.

The superintendent will determine those veterans who have substantial ties to the district.  Examples include, but are not limited to: living or having lived in the district, having attended school in the district, having children or other descendents who have attended school in the district, having been employed by the district or volunteering in the district.


Policy 2410                     High School Graduation Requirements



Legal References:

RCW 28A-230-120          High school diplomas — Issuance — Option to receive final transcripts — Notice

RCW 41.04.005                “Veteran” defined for certain purposes


Management Resources:

Policy News, June 2008       Diplomas for Veterans

Policy News, June 2003       Honoring Veterans of the Korean Conflict

Policy News, April 2002      WWII Veterans May Receive Diplomas

Adoption Date: 1.11

Methow Valley School District

Classification: Optional   

WSSDA 6.08