3141 Nonresident Students

Any student who resides outside the district may apply to attend a school in the district or file the parental declaration of the intent to provide home-based instruction and enroll for ancillary services, if any.  All applications for nonresident attendance or home-based instruction will be considered on an equal basis.  The district shall provide information on inter-district enrollment policies to nonresidents on request and have copies of the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s annual information booklet on enrollment options in the state available for public inspection at each school building, the central office and local public libraries.

A parent or guardian shall apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by completing the appropriate district application (Form 3140F Student Transfer Request Form).  The superintendent shall develop an application form which contains information including, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school district in which he or she is currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the basis for requesting release from the resident district, and the specific building and grade level (elementary) or course offerings (secondary) in which the student desires to be enrolled if accepted by the district.

The superintendent will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:

A.  Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the

student desires to be enrolled;

B.  Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the

student’s condition as stated in requesting release from his or her district of residence;

C.  Whether the student’s attendance in the district is likely to create a risk to the health

or safety of other students or staff;

D.  Whether the student’s disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive

behavior or gang membership (A gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that on an ongoing basis regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes.); and

E.  Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more

than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district’s policy for readmission of expelled students.

If the non-resident student is the child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee, the superintendent shall accept the transfer request unless the nonresident student:

A.  Has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership;

B.  Has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or

C.  Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district.  (The

child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her


A student who resides in a district that does not operate a secondary program shall be permitted to enroll in secondary schools in this district in accordance with state law and regulation relating to the financial responsibility of the resident district.

The superintendent shall provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of the application in a timely manner.  If the student is to be admitted, the district shall notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

If the application is denied, the superintendent will notify the parent or guardian of the right to petition the board, upon five school business days’ prior notice, for review of the decision and to have a hearing before the board at its next regular meeting.  Following the hearing by the board, a final decision shall be promptly communicated to the parent in writing.

The final decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the superintendent of public instruction or his or her designee.


Cross References:

Board Policy 3120                  Enrollment


Legal References:

RCW 28A.225.220                 Adults, children from other districts, agreements for attending school – Tuition

RCW 28A.225.240                 Appeal from certain decisions to deny student’s request to attend nonresident district – Apportionment of credit

RCW 28A.225.290                 Enrollment options information booklet

RCW 28A.225.300                 Enrollment options information to parents

C 36 L 03                                Enrolling Children of  Certificated and Classified School Employees

WAC 392-137                        Finance – Nonresident attendance


Management Resources:

Policy News, September 199 School safety bills impact policy

Policy News, June 2003          Enrolling children of school employees


Adoption Date:  11.03

Methow Valley School District  

WSSDA:  6.03


Spring Break: Monday, April 3rd - Friday, April 7th - All MVSD schools and the district office will be closed to the public.