All instructional materials, including supplementary materials and teachers’ manuals, used with any survey, analysis or evaluation in a program or project supported by federal funds are available for inspection by parents and guardians.
No student will be required as part of any project or program supported by federal funds to submit to survey, analysis or evaluation that reveals information concerning:
1. Political affiliations;
2. Potentially embarrassing mental or psychological problems;
3. Sexual behavior and attitudes;
4. Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating or demeaning behavior;
5. Critical appraisals of close family members;
6. Privileged or similar relationships;
7. Religious practices, affiliations or beliefs of the student or student’s parent; or
8. Income other than information necessary to establish eligibility for a program;
without the prior consent of adult or emancipated students or written permission of parents.
The district shall make arrangements to protect student privacy during the administration of surveys and the collection, disclosure or use of personal information for marketing, sales or other distribution purposes.
20 U.S.C. 1232h(c) No Child Left Behind Act of 2001
34 CFR Parts 75, 76 Student rights in research, and 98 (1984) experimental activities and testing
Policy News, April 2003 Districts Required to Review Collection and Dissemination of Information
Adoption Date: 8.03
Methow Valley School District WSSDA: 4.03