3520 Student Fees, Fines, Charges

The district shall provide an educational program for the students as free of costs as possible.  The superintendent may approve the use of supplementary supplies or materials for which a charge is made to the student so long as the charge does not exceed the cost of the supplies or materials, students are free to purchase them elsewhere or provide reasonable alternatives, and a proper accounting is made of all moneys received by staff for supplies and materials.


The board delegates authority to the superintendent to establish appropriate fees and procedures governing the collection of fees and to make annual reports to the board regarding fee schedules.  Arrangements shall be made for the waiver or reduction of fees for students whose families, by reason of their low income, would have difficulty paying the full fee.  The USDA Child Nutrition Program guidelines shall be used to determine qualification for waiver.  The superintendent shall establish a procedure for notifying parents of the availability of fee waivers and reductions.


A student shall be responsible for the cost of replacing materials or property that are lost or damaged due to negligence.  A student’s grades, transcripts or diploma may be withheld until restitution is made by payment or the equivalency through voluntary work.  The student or his/her parents may appeal the imposition of a charge for damages to the superintendent and board of directors.


The student and his/her parents shall be notified regarding the nature of the violation or damage, how restitution may be made and how an appeal may be instituted.  When the damages or fines do not exceed $100, the student or his/her parents shall have the right to an informal conference with the principal.  As is the case for appealing a short-term suspension, the principal’s decision may be appealed to the superintendent and to the board of directors.  When damages are in excess of $100, the appeal process for long-term suspension shall apply.


If a student has transferred to another school district that has requested the student’s records, but that student has an outstanding fee or fine, only records pertaining to the student’s academic performance, special placement, immunization history, attendance, history of violent behavior, violent offenses, sex offenses, inhaling toxic fumes, drug offenses, liquor violations, assault, kidnapping, harassment, stalking or arson and discipline actions shall be sent to the enrolling school.  The content of those records shall be communicated to the enrolling district within two school days and copies of the records shall be sent as soon as possible.  The official transcript will not be sent until the outstanding fee or fine is discharged.  The enrolling school shall be notified that the official transcript is being withheld due to an unpaid fee or fine.





Legal References:                   AGO 1965-66, #113               Fees – Tuition – Supplies –

Authority of school

districts to charge tuition

fees or textbook fees

AGO 1973, No.11                  Tuition and Fees – Authority

of school districts to

charge various fees

RCW 28A.225.330                 Enrolling students from other


RCW 28A.320.230(f)             Instructional materials –

Instructional materials


RCW 28A.330.100                 Additional powers of board

RCW 28A.635.060                 Defacing or injuring school

property – Liability of

parent or guardian

RCW 28A.220.040                 Fiscal support – Reimbursement

to school districts – Enroll-

ment fees – Deposit

WAC 246-100-166                 Immunization of day care and

school children against

certain vaccine-preventable



Management Resources:         Policy News, June 1999          School safety bills impact policy



Adoption Date:  5.01

Methow Valley School District